20 August 2006

Motivation for Mission

What is the motivation for missions? As I look around at different people who are on mission, sometimes I wonder what motivates them. I know what should be our motivation for missions but often my observation has been that it is something else.

Main Entry: mo·ti·va·tion
Function: noun
1 a : the act or process of motivating b : the condition of being motivated
2 : a motivating force, stimulus, or influence (as a drive or incentive)

Our motivation should be that God be glorified in all that we do at home and while we are on mission. I do not want to paint with too broad a brush here so please hear what I am saying. The motivation for many is to glorify God and see his name proclaimed amongst all peoples. My observation has been that many people are motivated by something other than desire to glorify God. I would say that at times, all of us are guilty of this probably more often than we would like to admit it.

Let's examine some of the alternative motivations:

Money

Well, you may be thinking that money probably doesn't apply to being on mission or not but I believe that it is a motivation in the Christian life. Sometimes money keeps us from being on mission. I haven't seen too many missionaries who are retiring as millionaires but to be honest with you, many missionaries are not doing to poorly either. The idea of the suffering missionary is (in some cases) not that accurate.

How else can money be a motivation to either be on mission or not be on mission? I am open to your input here.

I look at people who are unwilling to sacrifice their time while they are in the states so they are on mission one week every year or so while they help poor people in another country.

Is it good enough to be on-call, on mission? By this, I mean that you really do not do much through your daily life to be on mission but you do this when you schedule it.

Emotion

Today many people are motivated by their emotions.

Perhaps this has always been the case but we see people committing to do things not after they have spent time alone with God seeking His will, but after they have heard some motivational missionary/pastor/salesman who tells them about the poor children in another country or a church that doesn't have a place to meet. The being on mission is a response to a physical need that pulls on the heart strings.

Emotion is a dangerous driving force. Instead of motivated/driven to glorify God, often emotions mean that we are driven by our projects.

Guilt Syndrome

I believe that for some, their actually participating in missions is a way to feel better about their own wealth. I have actually had people tell me that they wanted to do this because they have so much that it helps them to know that they helped someone else.

Maybe guilt is a good motivator but it can't be the only thing that motivates our being on mission. Our desire must be motivated out of glorifying God.

Exodus 34:14 for thou shalt worship no other god: for Jehovah, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

What does a jealous God desire? Absolute, total dedication. We are to serve HIM everywhere, everyday. I have already said that none of us live up to this. What I am afraid of the on mission term is a fad that has been set up in our post-modern world to be the time to serve Him. We have set apart a time when we are suffering for Jesus and then we go on with our life.

Anyway, I am rambling. I would appreciate your input on what you see as the motivation behind the push to be on mission.

5 comments:

J. Guy Muse said...

Your post spoke to me today. It is something that I was needing to reflect upon and realize my own motivations are not always as pure as I like to think they are. There are a lot of pressures out there that affect our motivations for being "on mission." Thanks.

Don said...

This blog, if for no other reason, helps me examine my own life. I was listening to a book today as I was travelling and it talked about the topic of motivation. The author says that we always have our motivations for all that we do. He said that we never do anything just to do it but that we always expect something in return. This could be interpretted as a selfish desire. He says that often what we expect in return is that good things happen, it doesn't always have to be selfish. I don't know what I think about what he was saying... still processing it. What I do know is that over the past few days God has twice caused me to re-evaluate what motivates me and what I expect in return.

Rambling again. I am going to bed :)

Anonymous said...

Your post really reminded me of several issues that I face personally as well as experience. Let me see if I can be specific without getting to wordy.

All of your motivations that you list can either be good or bad. The downside to money, emotion, and guilt is that to alleviate these pains most tend to sacrifice effective strategy for activity that brings only a temporary reprieve. Becuase I have so much money when I see others with less so to ease the guilt I will give them "things" and call it either ministry or missions. Unfortunately, few if any pause to take into account both the short-term and long-term impact of this action.

Motives are important and I must constantly evaluate my motives. For example, you statement that the "suffering missionary" is not as commmon as in days past is very accurate. Would I be willling to give up all my creature comforts so that more people will hear the Gospel? Am I a missionary today because my life is not much different than if I were in the states?

Jesus responded to and dealt with motives His entire ministry. He spoke often of the issues of the heart. Thanks for the post and reminder. You make it hard to pick up a stone and toss at others.

Don said...

Your comments reminded me of how some missionaries previously chose assignments. There is a great article in EMQ from last month that talks about mk education. Basically the guy was pretty hard on how missionaries would choose field of service based upon what type of MK education was available in the area. I think that the new criteria for where many missionaries lives is, "can I get broadband internet access there?"

So, if you are lost and live in a place where you can get broadband internet and there is a good MK school, you are probably more likely to have an opportunity to accept Christ than if you live where there are no schools and no internet :)

Don said...

Ok, I provided some of my observations about alternative motivations for missions. What additional observations would you make? Surely I have not exausted the alternative motivations.